Friday, February 5, 2010

Magic

In between all the fun post has been real life and real life has been a little crazy this week.  My happy baby Henny started waking up around 1 am to eat and then waking up every 10 to 45 minutes after that until 9am.  I was literally waking up 20 times a night.  That is hard! My neighbor Heather met me at our secret meeting place at the fence late one night and tossed a magical book to me:
According to Dr. Marc, Henry was over tired.  What?  Henry is a better sleeper than Macey was... he is happy all day... it didn't make sense.  But the book says he should be awake a max of 2 hours at a time.  Well we went over that a few times a day.  So I buckled down, started writing down his comings and goings, putting him to bed in his bed (not in the car seat or stroller...) and after 4 nights of waking up a million and a half times Henry only woke up 3 times last night.  Much, much, much better.

Now the problem... Henny isn't as portable as he once was, he doesn't fall asleep in the car seat while grocery shopping or while we are on a walk like he used to.  I just assumed he wasn't tired.   Now that I know better I feel a little chained to my house (especially when you mix in office hours in the middle of the day that I can't leave).  If he is napping 4 times a day, in his bed, when am I supposed to leave to get something done?  Saturdays only?  Double edge sword my friends... Henry not sleeping or me not leaving the house.  Both not good.  


Oh, I can't wait to have a backyard!  Won't that be dreamy.  I'll even get crazy and say I want it fenced in... a fenced backyard.  A miracle in the making.  One day, One day.

4 comments:

Holly said...

We LOVE this book! I'm so glad it helped with Henry. Not being able to leave the house, however, is no fun. I followed the book exactly for Tucker, and I believe it definitely helped him become a better sleeper & a happier baby. However, I got so stressed out about staying exactly to the schedule that I couldn't enjoy things--I was too busy watching the clock, and I hardly ever got out of the house. So with my next child I've decided that I will follow the book, but allow myself a little leniency every once in awhile. Moderation in all things, right?! So good luck. You want Henry to sleep well, but you can't let yourself go crazy staying home all day. If you want to leave the house sometime while he's napping, Tucker & I would be more than happy to come sit with him. Now that Tucker's down to just one nap, I feel like I have all the time in the world to go out and do whatever we want! :)

Vanessa said...

That book is God-sent. However, I understand your frustration with feeling chained to your house...we have the same problem. If Paxton misses one nap, there is heck to pay. (He's a VERY sensitive sleeper and was extremely fussy/colicky, so we are in a completely different category. Bleh.) However, I had an anxiety attack (pretty sure that's what it was) last Friday, so I'm trying to find a balance... it's hard.

clarsen said...

You can bring him over to my house for his naps so you can get stuff done, just bring his bed.

Michelle said...

I know how you feel! We go outside and play in our yard (not fenced in, so I have to be out there with Emily) while Nathalie is sleeping. Also, I allow myself a day or so a week when I break the schedule. But yes, it is a little confining.