Saturday, September 14, 2013

A little support needed :)


Hi friends!

I've been wanting to put some info out into the world for people that I love to know but my other blog certainly isn't the place and even facebook is feeling to impersonal. SO I thought I'd put them here. If you even know about this blog then we are certainly friends and I can confide in you.

We found out a few months ago that Thomas and I have an ABO blood incompatibility which explains a lot about our past babies!

Here's an article that I liked that summed the issue up:
http://www.pregnancy.com.au/resources/topics-of-interest/postnatal/abo-incompatibility-in-newborns.shtml

If the baby has any other type of blood than mine (type O) then my antibodies cause it's to breakdown the red blood cells too quickly and then my kids get horrible jaundice.

I feel silly saying we are dealing with jaundice... the whole world has dealt with jaundice, but this is so sever. The boys were both in the hospital for 5 days on photo-therapy and IVs and Henry came home for another 10 days of lights. I couldn't hold him for the first two weeks of his life!!

So there's a 25% chance the baby will have my blood type and a 75% chance that he won't. The odds aren't really in our favor but there is a chance that he'll be healthy as a little ox.

I guess what I'm after is good thoughts and prayers. I'm not expecting a healthy baby but I pray that we don't have to do something extreme like a blood transfusion. We've dealt with this in the past, I can do it again, but man alive does it worry me. Just pray for us that things will work out the best that they can.

The other issue is that I'm delivering at a birth center. I'm nervous about all of the details about getting the baby into the hospital if he needs and it and I'm worried I won't be able to stay at the hospital because I wasn't already there. In the past they have just checked me out but I have lived in my room, nursing every 2 hours and it worked great. I'm just not sure what I'd do if I can't stay there. The unknown isn't very fun huh.

So keep me and the babe in your thoughts. I know things will work out great... the Lord has let me know that, but I also know that getting to the great can be hard, especially when you are going to be an hour and a half from home with 3 other kids who need you there.

Wish me luck. I sure like you guys. Thanks for all your love and support.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Love you, Melissa. I hope things go as smoothly as possible. Nice to have some idea what was going on with the previous births, but I hope this one is peaceful. Praying for you guys!

Rob and Marseille said...

good luck! i'm glad you know 'the why' so you can know how to help your babies.

Sarah said...

Oh the worry is awful. You have a lot on your mind!! Prayers for you friend!

Michelle said...

Your baby is blessed to have you and Thomas as his parents!! It will be okay. You're doing all you can to prepare and if the jaundice becomes a problem, you're ready. Take it easy and seek peace.

Lacie said...

Melissa,
Our prayers are with you and your sweet family.
I do want to tell you that if they won't let you stay in the hospital with your own room, you can stay with you baby. They cannot tell you, you can't nurse the baby or be with the baby.
I hope you don't even have to go. :) If you need anything please call or text. We know a lot of the doctor world in St. George. :) 435-590-9601

arianna said...



Cara melissa, scrivo dall'Italia,in Toscana. Ho letto per caso la tua storia e siccome sono anch'io una mamma,so quello che stai provando.Ti sono molto vicina.E pure fiduciosa.Vedrai sarai seguita nel migliore dei modi ,tutto andrà bene e il tuo bambino non avrà niente da temere.

Che Dio protegga la vostra bella famiglia.Un abbraccio!

Arianna.


Dear Melissa, I write from Italy, Tuscany. I read your story by chance and since I too am a mom, I know what you're provando.Ti are very well vicina.E fiduciosa.Vedrai be followed in the best way, everything will be fine and your baby will have nothing to fear.

May God protect your beautiful famiglia.Un hug!

Unknown said...

hi there I dont know how I found myself reading your story all I KNOW that everything will be just fine believe me Pls could you also pray to the holy spirit receive my biggest hug from lima, peru all of you are great and will be great blessing corina francia