Monday, April 26, 2010

The Big Piano Move

When I was working for Provo City, we were doing some cleaning out of closets at work.  There was a big heavy player piano there.  My boss didn't want to mess with it so she was going to throw it away.  I told her I could get rid of it by 6pm that night if she would hold off on throwing it out.  Thomas and our friend Chace wheeled the piano on a dolly down the street 5 blocks (going through 2 big intersections) while Rivka and I followed videotaping from the car.  Have you ever seen two guys pushing a piano down the middle of the street?  It was pretty funny.  So that lovely free piano has been the focal point of our living room since we got it.  
Unfortunately it won't fit through the door into our new apartment.  So while Terry was here for graduation he and Thomas loaded it up to take it to Orderville where it will live in Marla's basement until we get the Shanty ready for it.
This isn't just a piano to move though, it's a player player.  It has to weigh around 600 or 700 pounds.  
So Thomas and Terry hand crafter a ramp just for the occasion.
Good thing Thomas got this fancy tool set from the great couple who own the building we manage!  Thanks Sandi!
After the piano was pushed up the ramp to the parking lot, we picked up the ramp and moved it to the back of the truck...
After about 3 hours the beast was safe in the back of the truck.  I have no idea how Terry is going to get the thing OUT of the truck though... good luck to him!

2 comments:

Holly said...

That's so funny! Good job to the guys for getting it all loaded up! And congratulations on graduating, Thomas!

Michelle said...

We had an old upright piano (it was from like the late 1800's) that we had to find a new home for and it was QUITE the ordeal moving that sucker. I think there was like 5 or 6 guys moving it and they were all about to have hernias! It was kindof funny.

So are you guys planning on moving to Orderville to live??? I thought you guys were going to fix that "Shanty" up and rent it out or something. That would be fun to have your guys move to the Valley! It can't quite get any better than Orderville!