Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Mother Training

So I started potty training Macey yesterday. I'm not sure why but I want to, and I think she is ready. She only had once accident and was dry through her nap and night time yesterday. Day 2: she doesn't want to wear underwear any more and keeps looking for her diapers, already had 2 accidents, is acting super stubborn.

I am not the only person who has done this! I need advice from people who know Macey!
Here is her background:
  • She is very intelligent with excellent verbal skills
  • She's been going to the bathroom (on the toilet) on her own at least once a day for the last 2-3 months because she thinks it's fun
  • She is super strong willed
  • She doesn't want to be a "big girl" yet. That logic doesn't work with her and she doesn't like to be called a big girl, she tells me she is a "whittle girl"
  • She doesn't watch movies and isn't motivated by watching them or reading about potties...
  • She had a sticker chart yesterday that she loved and it worked all day, today she ripped off all the stickers and doesn't care about it
  • She is good at holding it, peeing when on the potty with no hesitation, but no longer wants to tell me she needs to go. I have been taking her every 2 hours and she goes... when does she do it on her own?
What do you think? How do I not make this a battle of wills? How long does it take for her to get it? Any suggestions would be helpful.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

Theres a book called "potty training without tears" I think its more for the mom than any one. but it has different suggestions from moms and dads in it. I have it if you want it.

Just an idea

Sarah Steele said...

So Logan started using the potty about a month before his second birthday...due to a bad case of diarrhea. Long story. Anyways, we got the training potty, Pull-Ups, real underwear, a sticker chart, the works. And he was doing SO WELL! And then we had the baby. I took into consideration the regression most kids are said to go to, but I think it was a little bit of that and a lot more of me being tired and distracted and just not paying enough attention to his bathroom needs. So having been through it, I STRONGLY recommend waiting until you're in a good routine with the new baby. Kaylee is 7 weeks today and we've re-started the potty training with no accidents...and Logan has even told me he needs to go while in his diaper. Whatever you end up doing, just remember that she will get it eventually. That's what I keep telling myself :-)

Julia Davis said...

You could try a new theme each day to keep her interested for a while..... like have an M&M day. Each time she goes she gets an M&M. The next day could be Dinosaur day and she gets a dinosaur cracker each time.... etc. etc. You could have the chart for just a week at a time with each day labeled with a new theme. That might take some effort and thought- but with kids short attention spans it might just work. Just thought of that right now, so who knows??? Call it the teacher in me. :) Hope it goes well.

Rob and Marseille said...

christopher did the same thing. so i stopped and only took him when he asked. (he was in a diaper). He was fully trained 6 months later.

Sondra said...

I wish I had good advice for you but since I am without any children, I am no use. But I still want to wish you good luck and Macey has such a personality already!! It is so cute (and yet very frustrating at a time like this I am sure!)

Unknown said...

maybe you shouldnt' listen to me but i say if she wants a diaper give her a diaper. she'll want that fancy underwear that all the big girls wear soon enough! I havent' even thought about potty training hank. we have a kids potty that he stares at and thinks is cool. anytime he says potty i set him on it, but never push it. i think he'll figure it out soon enough and by not pushing him into it I'll have to deal with less accidents! I think I'd much rather change diapers than clean up messed and peeed on pants! Good luck! Don't wear yourself out!