Cove Fort is a really neat pioneer fort just a few minutes from our house. The first weekend in August they have a lot going on there, Cove Fort Days, if you will. Thomas wasn't able to go, so I decided to take the kids by myself and I'm so pleased that I did. This huge fort was built and ran by the family of President Hinckley. I was used as a stop for the mail, telegraphs, and travelers on their way from Salt Lake to St. George. After the church no longer needed it it was sold and fell into disrepair. In the mid-1980's the
Hinckley family bought the property and donated it to the Church. It is now a historic church site and I don't think many people know about it. It's just off I-15 and so worth a stop. We loved it!
Here the kids are on top of the look out of the fort. It is made of volcanic rock.
Rooms in the fort have been restored. This is the old telegraph machine.
Lots of senior missionaries are there and they plan a massive garden which they use to eat! This is celery... I've never seen celery grown in a garden.
During Cove Fort Days they have extra things going on. This was a soap making demonstration.
There were bees:
And free wagon and stage coach rides (plus free hot dogs and drinks!).
We roamed around and saw an old doctor set up, watched a movie short movie about the history of the fort, and really enjoyed the day.
I love this quilt!
There you have it, a little-known Utah treasure.









No comments:
Post a Comment