Tuesday, June 16, 2009

All good things must end...

I know our trip sounded perfect; it nearly was. There was one bump in the road. We lost blankey. You know THE blankey. How it happened I will never know, it haunts my dreams. It just disappeared.
Night number one without blankey was horrid. She cried herself to sleep in her dad's arms after sobbing for blankey for about a half an hour. Every time she would roll over that night she cried out "blankey" in her sleep. I had huge mother guilt... she didn't lose it, I did. I am the adult. She has slowly stopped asking for it as much, and I have just started telling her that I don't have it then offer another blanket as replacement.
I have searched stores in 3 states for the same blanket. Yesterday we went to the fabric store and I attempted a recreation of blankey. I'm not going to post a picture... I'm not my mom when it comes to sewing. The project took 2 hours of sewing and it is a sight.
Here is the best part of my sewing project. I finished the blanket at 11:30 last night and could NOT wait to give it to her. I was SO excited and thought she would be too. I went into her room and woke her up to give it to her. She was not excited... she ended up crying for the next hour and a half while Thomas lay on her floor trying to sing her back to sleep. Not quite the blessed reunion I imagined. I should have waited for morning!
Here is a picture from the internet of the real blankey. It's a Carter's brand and is satin and "minky" (soft with bumps). If you see one... let me know!

8 comments:

DaNae said...

My friend had the same prob with a blanket and she just got one on ebay. We have the same one too, but it is a fav. of Ellas. Maybe I could sneak it away and mail it to you!!

Sarah said...

I think I have a close one. No bumps though. You are welcome to check it out. This is a sad story!

The Clems said...

oh no. what a nightmare for your little girl. lily has a blankie too. she cant function without it. i feel your pain! hope she adjust to the new one. i will keep my eyes peeled!

Michelle said...

I'm pretty sure that my world would crash and burn if Emily lost her blankie. We feel your pain!

Michelle said...

Carter's Just One Year Pink Minky Dot Crib Blanket

Summer P. said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Carter%27s-Just-One-Year-Pink-Minky-Dot-Crib-Blanket_W0QQitemZ250441439607QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090610?IMSfp=TL090610155003r19557

its on ebay but for 30 bucks. thats the link i found it on, there may be more out there, that is just tooo sad.

Michelle said...

Hey Melissa, I went to highschool with Thomas and came across your blog and decided to drop you guys a line! Sounds like you guys have been having a fun summer so far with all your traveling. Also, I love your little girl's name. I actually have 2 boys, but before any kids, I decided that if I ever had a girl her name would be Macey/Macie. How funny! Great minds think alike I guess. But so far no girls!:) Anyways, I totally know how you feel about BLANKIE! I have a 4 year old that still has one and refuses to go to sleep without it. You should see it. I rarely wash it because I'm afraid it's going to fall apart.haha Anyways, I hope that you can find another one soon.

Just so you know, my family's blog is private, but I would love to invite you guys to it. I just need your email, you can send it to foxy_coxy55@yahoo.com. Hope you guys are doing good!

Kaley said...

Ok, I'm not a mom so maybe my views are a little schewed....but maybe this is a blessing in disguise? Isn't it a good thing to get your children un-addicted to their childhood vices? Like a pacifier? I don't know....