Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Still Here...

Well... Henry and I have extended our vacation for at least another night. He is doing great but just needs more time to get better.
Jaundice is super common, his is just an extreme case because we have different blood types. Some of his blood crossed the placenta into my blood, my blood fought off the intruders creating antibodies, those antibodies crossed back over into his blood and were broken down into biliruben. Too many biliruben make babies jaundice and he just has tons more than most babies because of our little blood issue. I'm not sure on any more details or WHY the blood crossed in the first place, that is the part that normally doesn't happen. That is the extent of my understanding though; direct further questions to Henry's pediatrician.
His levels will be tested again in about an hour, if they have gone down then we can start "weening" him from his IV which takes about 12 hours. After he is off the IV and only getting food from me IF his levels are still going down then he can come home. So tomorrow morning is the goal; I would say we have a 60/40 percent chance of it happening compared to not.

Last night Thomas, Macey, and Lucy my mother-in-law (who is watching Macey for us while Thomas goes to school and such) came to visit. I played outside with Macey while they peeked at Henry and then we all got dinner. The whole time we were together Macey acted like it was just another day. She wasn't overly clingy, just chatting with me like normal... when they pulled up to the hospital to drop me back off Macey started crying from the back seat - Mom no go doctor, mommy come home, sleep in mommy's bed! I went around to kiss her and just started bawling as she cried and begged for me to come home with them. It was heartbreaking and so nice to hear her love at the same time. I'm so ready for my world with Henry and my life with Macey to combine and be one.

5 comments:

Heather said...

That is the saddest story in all America, having to leave one baby to go back to another. But I like that you did get that loving from Macey. Go Henry Go!

Chace & Rivka said...

Dang bilirubin! I hate the stuff!

Sondra said...

Awww that is so sad and cute. She loves you so much! And I am glad Henry is ok but I hope he gets to go home ASAP. Good luck with everything, I hope Lars and I can visit next week when we are in Utah!! PS You are so brave for having a natural birth!

Judy said...

Hang in there Melissa! I know exactly how you feel. It's so hard to constantly be leaving one for the other. Enjoy this one-on-one time with Henry though...you won't have much of it when he comes home.

Holly said...

Oh Melissa! You guys are in our prayers! Common or not--it's still hard. Hang in there! I wish I could be there to help. Not sure what I'd do exactly, but just know that I'm there in spirit. It's no fun to have your baby stuck at the hospital when you're ready to have him home. And I can't even imagine having another child at home at the same time. Good luck! I feel your pain! We love you and Macey and Mr. Henry!